Julia Sirna-Frest is an actor and singer based in New York.
She was seen as Margit in Seder at Hartford Stage.
And in the title role of: [PORTO] which played at The Bushwick Starr last year where it was an NYT Critics Pick and The Times review said it was quote: “an excellent cast led by the wonderful Ms. Sirna-Frest”
[PORTO] makes its Off-Broadway premiere at the WP Theater.
Other productions include: A Tunnel Year (The Chocolate Factory), and The Offending Gesture (The Connelly);
Julia is also a Founding member of the Obie award-winning Half Straddle Company, where just a few of her shows include: Ghost Rings, Ancient Lives; Seagull (Thinking of you), and In the Pony Palace Football.
Julia also fronts Doll Parts, Brooklyn's premiere Dolly Parton cover band, and composes music with Shane Chapman for productions such as Welcome to the Gun Show (Ars Nova) and IceBand (HERE Arts Center).
Julia talks with Marc about creating wild, inventive theater, devising works by composing rock music combined with the dialogue of playwrights like O'Neill and Chekhov, her upcoming Off-Broadway run of [PORTO], audition stories (good and bad), and gaining more control over her career by creating many artistic outlets – like her Dolly Parton cover band!
about the show:
Talking Theater celebrates theater! You'll hear interviews with theater people for those who love theater.
Actors, directors, playwrights, designers, stage managers, musicians, and other professionals will tell you stories about their career, their craft, and their community.
We’re not just talking – we’re talking theater!
Subscribe to the podcast for free and get every episode the moment it comes out.
spot lightning round with Julia Sirna-Frest:
- What's a play that everyone should see or read at least once? – “Top Girls by Caryl Churchill”
- If you could sing one song on The Voice, what would it be? – “Jolene by Dolly Parton”
- If you had a superpower, what would it be? – “Flying”
- What’s your favorite word? – “Indubitably”
people and resources mentioned:
- [Porto] – Play by Kate Benson and directed by Lee Sunday Evans playing Off-Broadway. Julia plays the lead role of Porto
- Half Straddle – Julia is a founding member of this theater company led by Artistic Director Tina Satter
- Doll Parts – Dolly Parton cover band fronted by Julia. Started with Maggie Robinson
- Cornish College of the Arts – Julia earned her BFA at this college in Seattle and found her artistic identity about creating new work and extending boundaries
- William Burke – Playwright and Julia's husband
- Cynthia Hopkins – Writer, Composer and Storyteller of The Truth: A Tragedy which made a huge impact on Julia and the kind of work she creates
getting in touch with julia:
Connect with Julia at JuliaSirnaFrest.com
thanks for visiting talking theater episode 29 with Julia Sirna-Frest!
Will you also share this episode?
Subscribe to the podcast for free and catch all future episodes! This really helps the show out and lets you get all episodes automatically.