Jose Solis is the Chief Theater Critic at StageBuddy.com.
He has been writing about film and theater since 2003 and his work has appeared in major film and theater publications including (links are reviews or articles): The New York Times, American Theatre, and Backstage.
Jose is putting together a panel called Being a Critic of Color for BroadwayCon 2018.
And, when he's not at a show, a screening or writing about all the art he loves, you can find him singing along to any cast recording featuring Kelli O'Hara.
Jose talks with Marc about his passion for all theater and the arts, the distinction between a review versus an interpretation, racial disparity on stage and in theater criticism, and his newest projects to address inclusion and diversity among theater critics.
about the show:
Talking Theater celebrates theater! You'll hear interviews with theater people for those who love theater.
Actors, directors, playwrights, designers, stage managers, musicians, and other professionals will tell you stories about their career, their craft, and their community.
We’re not just talking – we’re talking theater!
Subscribe to the podcast for free and get every episode the moment it comes out.
spot lightning round with Jose Solis:
- What's a play that everyone should see or read at least once? – “Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “To deny myself the things that make me happy is bonkers!”
- If you could sing one song on The Voice, what would it be? – “The Man That Got Away by Judy Garland”
- If you had a superpower, what would it be? – “Telekinesis (as long as it includes flying too)”
- What’s your favorite word? – “Yes”
people and resources mentioned:
- Anna Ziegler – Playwright who Jose believes needs more attention on stages across the country, including Broadway
- The Band's Visit & Come From Away – Two musicals recommended for visitors to Broadway
- Richard Brody – Critic at New Yorker admired by Jose
- Diep Tran – Senior editor at American Theatre. She and Jose will partner on new web series about theater, in which they will make sure their voices as POC are loud, bold and strong
- Being a Critic of Color – Panel put together by Jose that will be at Broadway Con on Saturday, January 27, 2018
getting in touch with jose:
thanks for visiting talking theater episode 28 with Jose Solis!
Will you also share this episode?
Subscribe to the podcast for free and catch all future episodes! This really helps the show out and lets you get all episodes automatically.