Ilana Levine is an acclaimed actor on Broadway, TV and film. She’s also a producer, and the amazing host of one of my favorite podcasts, Little Known Facts.
Ilana is probably best known to Broadway fans for her comedic turn as “Lucy Van Pelt” in the Broadway revival of You're A Good Man Charlie Brown with Kristen Chenoweth, Anthony Rapp, B.D. Wong, Roger Bart, Stanley Wayne Mathis (directed by Michael Mayer, Choreography by Jerry Mitchell).
And she also starred in the Broadway productions of Jake's Women, Wrong Mountain and The Last Night of Ballyhoo.
What you should also know about Ilana is that she’s also appeared in film and TV including Tanner ’88 directed by Robert Altman, Seinfeld, Law and Order, Tanner on Tanner, Confessions of a Shopaholic, Kissing Jessica Stein, Failure to Launch, The Nanny Diaries, Friends with Kids and Five Flights Up.
Ilana lives in Brooklyn, New York with her husband, actor Dominic Fumusa, her two children, and their dog, Lola.
Ilana shares with Marc about her experiences with You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown and other Broadway shows, what the best directors do to get the best performance from her, her love for improvisation, and why she started and hosts her hit podcast, Little Known Facts.
about the show:
Talking Theater celebrates theater! You'll hear interviews with theater people for those who love theater.
Actors, directors, playwrights, designers, stage managers, musicians, and other professionals will tell you stories about their career, their craft, and their community.
We’re not just talking – we’re talking theater! Subscribe to the podcast.
spot lightning round with Ilana Levine:
- What’s a play that you recommend to be seen or read at least once? – “Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Think of work as part of the context of your whole life, and not the rest of your life fitting into work (from Judith Light)”
- If you could sing one song on The Voice, what would it be? – “Beautiful by Carole King”
- If you had a superpower, what would it be? – “Empathy Rays”
- What’s your favorite word? – “Extraordinary”
people and resources mentioned:
- Naked Angels – Ilana belonged to this theater when she did a production of Machinal. Director Michael Mayer saw her performance which led to her role as Lucy in You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown
- Terry Schreiber Studio– Acting class that first sparked Ilana's interest in acting
- Dominic Fumusa – Actor and Ilana's husband and partner
- Little Known Facts – Hit podcast hosted by Ilana. Her unique brand of celebrity interview, “Podcast Vérité,” is unfiltered, raw, honest and uniquely funny.
getting in touch with ilana:
Connect with Ilana at littleknownfactspodcast.com
thanks for visiting talking theater episode 24 with Ilana Levine!
Will you also share this episode?
Subscribe to the podcast and catch all future episodes! This really helps the show out and lets you get all episodes automatically.
Please leave a comment on today’s show with Ilana Levine below at the bottom of this page.