Annie Enneking is an actor, songwriter, musician, teaching artist, and fight director. She started performing at the age of 14, and has acted on or created fights for almost every stage in the Twin Cities.
Annie is an associate instructor with Dueling Arts International and teaches the art of stage combat at the University of Minnesota.
Annie fronts and founded the rock band, Annie and the Bang Bang, and also has an acoustic singer-songwriter project.
Annie shares with Marc about the tools she needs in order to live a creative life, how physicality and body inform all her work, what she does with action and commitment in order to direct violence on stage, and the latest news about her band and solo acoustic projects.
about the show:
Talking Theater celebrates theater! You'll hear interviews with theater people for those who love theater.
Actors, directors, playwrights, designers, stage managers, musicians, and other professionals will tell you stories about their career, their craft, and their community.
We’re not just talking – we’re talking theater!
spot lightning round with Annie Enneking:
- What’s a play that you recommend to be seen or read at least once? – “Anything produced at New Paradise Laboratories“
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Take the note”
- If you could sing one song on The Voice, what would it be? – “Rainy Night House“
- If you had a superpower, what would it be? – “Flying”
- What’s your favorite word? – “Perspicacity”
people and resources mentioned:
- Annie and the Bang Bang – Annie's rock band
- Lyndale & 24th – Annie's acoustic album project – a meditation on being 20-something in Minneapolis of the 90s
- Princess Grace Award – Annie received this prestigious award when she was seventeen. Other award winners include Tony Kushner, Leslie Odom Jr., and Tina Landau
- Explode with Happy, Man, Big Muff, and Funeral for Fun– Videos mentioned during episode for Annie and the Bang Bang songs
- Trista Baldwin – Playwright. Annie originated lead role in Trista's Eye of the Lamb. Trista appeared on Talking Theater in Episode 1
getting in touch with Annie:
Annie's acoustic projects:
Annie and the Bang Bang links:
- Musical Clips:
thanks for visiting talking theater episode 13!
Will you also share this Annie Enneking episode?
Subscribe to catch all future episodes! This really helps the show out and lets you get all episodes automatically.