Jared Zeigler is an Equity stage manager, arts administrator, and theatre artist based in Minneapolis.
As a stage manager, Jared has worked with many of the leading professional theaters in Minneapolis, including Dark & Stormy Productions, Frank Theatre, Guthrie Theater, Sod House Theatre, Workhaus Collective, Playwrights' Center, and Theatre Novi Most. He is also the Managing Director of Theatre Novi Most.
Jared earned his degree in theatre at the University of Minnesota.
Jared shares with Marc about his directing project for Urinetown: The Musical, the keys of a successful stage manager, including how to work with directors and actors, calling a show, working tech, and the role safety, support, collaboration, and creating a safe space play in the life of a professional stage manger. Jared also talks about his new administrator role at Theatre Novi Most.
about the show:
Talking Theater celebrates theater! You'll hear interviews with theater people for those who love theater.
Actors, directors, playwrights, designers, stage managers, musicians, and other professionals will tell you stories about their career, their craft, and their community.
We’re not just talking – we’re talking theater!
spot lightning round with Jared Zeigler:
- What’s a play that you recommend to be seen or read at least once? – “A 24-Decade History of Popular Music by Taylor Mac”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Trust the people you're working with”
- If you could sing one song on The Voice, what would it be? – “Baby, I'm a Star by Prince”
- If you had a superpower, what would it be? – “Teleportation”
- What’s your favorite word? – “alles vet kummert an – invented German word which translates to One who takes care of everything for everyone at any time”
people and resources mentioned:
- Urinetown: the musical – Directed by Jared and opens July 21 – 30 at Sheldon Theatre in Red Wing, Minnesota
- Theatre Novi Most
- Dark and Stormy Productions
- Citizen– Poetry volume by Claudia Rankine adapted for the stage by Frank Theatre. One of Jared's favorite recent shows due to calling over 400 cues in an hour, and the challenging, supportice discussions about race, privilege, and inclusion
- Sara Marsh – Artistic Director of Dark and Stormy Productions. She offered Jared his 1st Equity contract allowing him to join the union as a stage manager
- Lisa Channer and Vladimir Rovinsky – Artistic Directors and founders of Theatre Novi Most
getting in touch with jared:
thanks for visiting talking theater episode 14!
Will you also share this Jared Zeigler episode?
Subscribe to catch all future episodes! This really helps the show out and lets you get all episodes automatically.