Kevin Harris is the Managing Artistic Director of the San Luis Obispo Little Theatre, soon to be San Luis Obispo Repertory Theatre.
He spent three years at the Atlantic Theatre Company studying acting under David Mamet, William H. Macy, and Felicity Huffman; he also spent a year at CAP 21 learning the finer intricacies of “jazz hands”.
In 2005, Kevin traveled to the West Bank and Gaza Strip to co-write and direct an original play with Ashtar Theatre, Palestine’s only professional theatre company.
He has taught at the University of Iowa and has led dozens of workshops across the country based on the book, A Practical Handbook for the Actor.
Kevin shares how he has led the transition for San Luis Obispo Little Theatre to a professional Regional theater company, his approach to directing plays, what every actor should know to be successful in an audition, how his thoughts have evolved about the Practical Aesthetics acting technique he learned at Atlantic Theater Company, and much more!
Plus, we finish with a fun Spot Lightning round at the end.
spot lightning round with Kevin Harris:
- What’s a play that you recommend to be seen or read at least once? – “Our Town by Thornton Wilder”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Don't be a dick”
- If you could sing one song on The Voice, what would it be? – “Under Pressure“
- If you had a superpower, what would it be? – “Immediate Teleportation”
- What’s your favorite word? – “Shitballs”
people and resources mentioned:
- San Luis Obispo Repertory Theatre – Kevin's theater where he serves as Managing Artistic Director
- Atlantic Theater Company – Off-Broadway theater with education branch teaching Practical Aesthetics developed by David Mamet and William H. Macy
- Pacific Conservatory Theatre – Professional theatre and conservatory. Watching its summer season in rep changed Kevin's life when he was 15 years old
- Suzy Newman – Actor at SLO Rep and featured Tallking Theater guest in Episode 6
- No Shame– Free late night theater program geared toward young adult writers to test out their work in front of a live audience. Established by Todd Ristau and Stan Ruth at University of Iowa
getting in touch with Kevin:
Connect with Kevin by email
- Musical Clip:
- Under Pressure by Queen and David Bowie
thanks for visiting talking theater episode 11!
Will you also share this Kevin Harris episode?
Subscribe to catch all future episodes!