Brendan Hines is a versatile actor and singer-songwriter. He currently stars in Amazon's The Tick as Superian. The show is based on Ben Edlund's comic book of the same name, with new episodes in February 2018.
Brendan is also performing in Histrionics, a one-man show at New York's Theater for the New City through mid-December of this year.
Brendan has also appeared in fan-favorite shows including Suits, Scandal, and Lie To Me, as well as a number of other films and television shows.
Recently on stage, Brendan played Pip and Theo in the South Coast Repertory production of Richard Greenberg's Three Days of Rain.
Outside of acting, Brendan focuses on his music career. He released his third album, QUALMS, in October, offering a lyrically urgent collection of songs written in the immediate aftermath of the 2016 U.S. presidential election.
Brendan shares with Marc about acting in a one-man show, the latest about Season One of The Tick, his music career, auditioning in Los Angeles, and building a career as an actor.
about the show:
Talking Theater celebrates theater! You'll hear interviews with theater people for those who love theater.
Actors, directors, playwrights, designers, stage managers, musicians, and other professionals will tell you stories about their career, their craft, and their community.
We’re not just talking – we’re talking theater! Subscribe to the podcast.
spot lightning round with Brendan Hines:
- What's a play that everyone should see or read at least once? – Three Days of Rain by Richard Greenberg
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “When you get to Los Angeles (or New York), you essentially get a number and you get in line. It may take a really long time for your number to come up, but the worst thing that you can do is get out of the line.”
- If you could sing one song on The Voice, what would it be? – “Accidentally Like a Martyr by Warren Zevon”
- If you had a superpower, what would it be? – “Flight”
- What’s your favorite word? – “Dinner”
people and resources mentioned:
- Histrionics – Brendan's one-man show playing at Theater for the New City in New York City. Written by Michael Patrick Flanagan Smith and Ben Forstenzer
- The Tick– Hit series by Amazon. Brendan plays the role of Superian. New episodes beginning February 2018
- Jen Kirkman – Comedian and friend of Brendan
- Billy Bragg, Tom Waits, Elvis Costello – Singer-songwriters Brendan enjoys for their authenticity
- Qualms – Newest album released by Brendan
getting in touch with brendan:
Connect with Brendan at brendanhinesmusic.com
thanks for visiting talking theater episode 26 with Brendan Hines!
Will you also share this episode?
Subscribe to the podcast and catch all future episodes! This really helps the show out and lets you get all episodes automatically.