Adam Szymkowicz is a playwright based in New York City. His plays have been produced throughout the U.S., Canada, England, and around the world.
Adam’s plays include The Wooden Heart, Deflowering Waldo, Pretty Theft, Food For Fish, Hearts Like Fists, Kodachrome, Marian (or the True Tale of Robin Hood), Rare Birds, Incendiary, Clown Bar, The Adventures of Super Margaret, The Why Overhead, and many others.
Adam received a Playwright’s Diploma from Juilliard and an MFA from Columbia University. He has written articles for Howlround, New York Theatre Magazine, and The Brooklyn Rail and has interviewed 1000 playwrights on the Adam Szymkowicz blog.
Adam shares with Marc about his inspiration for writing plays, lessons learned from his mentors and teachers including Marsha Norman and Christopher Durang, the questions he always asks before starting a new play, how he likes to work with directors and actors, his theater heroes and the contemporary playwrights whose work he admires, and stories about his super popular blog featuring playwright interviews and short plays.
about the show:
Talking Theater celebrates theater! You'll hear interviews with theater people for those who love theater.
Actors, directors, playwrights, designers, stage managers, musicians, and other professionals will tell you stories about their career, their craft, and their community.
We’re not just talking – we’re talking theater! Subscribe
spot lightning round with Adam Szymkowicz:
- What’s a play that you recommend to be seen or read at least once? – “A Small Fire by Adam Bock”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Go through the door that's open, not the door you think you should go through.”
- If you could sing one song on The Voice, what would it be? – “America by Simon and Garfunkel”
- If you had a superpower, what would it be? – “Invisibility”
- What’s your favorite word? – “Lugubrious”
people and resources mentioned:
- Marsha Norman and Christopher Durang – Two of Adam's most influential teachers and mentors while attending Julliard
- Portland Center Stage – Adam's play Kodachrome will premiere on February 3 through March 18, 2018, directed by Rose Riordan
- Flux Theatre Ensemble – Have worked with Adam on many of his plays and productions
- Mark Schultz – Interview recommended by Adam from his 1000 playwright interviews blog
getting in touch with adam:
Connect with Adam at adamszymkowicz.com
thanks for visiting talking theater episode 17!
Will you also share this Adam Szymkowicz episode?
Subscribe to catch all future episodes! This really helps the show out and lets you get all episodes automatically.
Please leave a comment about today’s show with Adam Szymkowicz below at the bottom of this page.