Mark Armstrong is a Brooklyn-based theater director and the Executive Director for The 24 Hour Plays, where he recently oversaw the 16th annual The 24 Hour Plays on Broadway.
Mark spent four years as the Director of New Work for off-Broadway’s Keen Company, where he created the Keen Playwrights Lab for mid-career playwrights and led Keen Teens.
Mark spent three years as the Literary Director for Playscripts, Inc. His writing has appeared in American Theatre, HowlRound and the Brooklyn Rail.
And, as Artistic Director of The Production Company, he directed premiere productions of Dan O’Brien’s The Angel in the Trees, Blair Singer’s Meg’s New Friend and The Most Damaging Wound, Alan Berks’ Goats, and many more.
Mark shares with Marc about the intensity and extreme fun of bringing together actors, playwrights, directors, composers, choreographers, musicians, and other artists to create plays and musicals from idea to audience in 24 hours, the keys of a successful rehearsal room as a director, the need to create more opportunities for younger, diverse directors, and how to shift theater habits and paradigms to respond faster in these fast-paced political and social times.
about the show:
Talking Theater celebrates theater! You'll hear interviews with theater people for those who love theater.
Actors, directors, playwrights, designers, stage managers, musicians, and other professionals will tell you stories about their career, their craft, and their community.
We’re not just talking – we’re talking theater!
spot lightning round with Mark Armstrong:
- What’s a play that you recommend to be seen or read at least once? – “Where Do We Live by Christopher Shinn”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “No one is going to do this for you”
- If you could sing one song on The Voice, what would it be? – “Play That Funky Music, White Boy by Wild Cherry”
- If you had a superpower, what would it be? – “Singing”
- What’s your favorite word? – “Yes.”
people and resources mentioned:
- The 24 Hour Musicals– Happens this year on July 17 at The Theatre at Ace Hotel in downtown Los Angeles. Some performers include Wayne Brady, Retta, Alicia Witt, and Shoshana Bean
- The 24 Hour Plays – Mark is Executive Director of this theater organization
- Tina Fallon – Co-founder of The 24 Hour Plays, and she gave Mark his first directing opportunity with the organization
- Dramatists Legal Defense Fund – Advocates for playwrights, theaters, schools against censorship and the diminishment of the public domain.
- Christopher Shinn – Award winning playwright whose plays include Where Do We Live (Obie Award), Now or Later, Dying City, and his latest Against
- Falling Away– Play by Christopher Shinn directed recently by Mark as part of the EST Marathon
- The 24 Hour Plays Licensing Program – Contact if your theater or school would like to put together 24 Hour Plays
getting in touch with mark:
- Play That Funky Music, White Boy by Wild Cherry
thanks for visiting talking theater episode 15!
Will you also share this Mark Armstrong episode?
Subscribe to catch all future episodes! This really helps the show out and lets you get all episodes automatically.